Welcome to our school community! We are so excited that you are starting school here at St. Michael!
Education may look a little different right now, but we are committed to working together to keep all children safe, happy, and healthy!
Introducing Our Early Years Team
Meet Vanessa Eugenio (Teacher)
Welcome to Kindergarten! My name is Vanessa Eugenio and I am one of the Kindergarten teachers here at St. Michael. I have been in education for ten years and absolutely love the curious minds of our youngest learners. I hope you like to take chances, make mistakes, and get messy because that’s all part of learning. I cannot wait to meet you. We are going to have lots of fun this year!
Meet Susan Janzen (DECE, Extended Day Program)
Welcome to Kindergarten! My name is Susan Janzen and I am an Early Childhood Educator. I have been part of the WCDSB family for almost 10 years. Although this will be my second year at St. Michael School, both of my children attended from JK to grade 8. I have been blessed to be part of the Angel Community both as a parent, and now as staff. I look forward to meeting your family and getting to know you as we share this journey together! Have a great summer!
Meet Patricia Staples (Teacher)
Hi there! My name is Patricia Staples and I am the planning time teacher for Kindergarten! I have been teaching for 21 years and this is my second year as a St. Michael Angel!
I hope you like to move your bodies, sing, dance and learn about keeping our body healthy and strong! I can’t wait to meet you all! ❤️
Meet Victoria Palmer (Teacher)
Hello Everyone! My name is Victoria Palmer and I am one of the Kindergarten Teachers. I am very excited to meet you and introduce you to your new school, classroom and future friends! We will have a lot of fun everyday explore new activities and learning new things. Parents, I look forward to getting to know you more and being partner’s in you child’s education.
Meet Sandra Santos (DECE, Extended Day Program)
Welcome to Kindergarten! My name is Sandra Santos and I am an Early Childhood Educator.
I have been a part of the St. Michael School Community for 10 years. I am blessed to work with young children every day. I look forward to meeting you and your children. We will have a wonderful year together of playing, learning and growing!
Meet Marina Jacob (Teacher)
Hi Everyone! I am Marina Jacob and this will be my third year teaching Kindergarten at St. Michael’s school. I taught in primary for a long time, and finally had a chance to return to the Early Years! I am blessed to once again be teaching with a team of amazing educators in a wonderful school community. I can’t wait to meet each and every one of you!
Meet Andrea Rocha (DECE, Extended Day Program)
Hello and welcome to Kindergarten! My name is Andrea Rocha and I am an Early Childhood Educator. This will be my third year with the St. Michael’s family and I will also be in the Extended Day after school program. I enjoy working with children and experiencing first-hand their love for the world. I am grateful to work alongside a wonderful team as together we help children learn and grow. Looking forward to embarking on this new adventure with you!
Meet Tammy Cassel (Early Childhood Educator Assistant, Extended Day Program)
Hello, my name is Tammy Cassel and I am a mother to three wonderful boys. I have been working in the education system for the past twelve years. This will be my second year working with the wonderful staff at St. Michael School. I am currently working in the role of early childhood education assistant while furthering my education to become a certified early childhood educator. I look forward to meeting all of our wonderful new students who will join our family in September.
Introducing Our School Community and Learning Spaces
- Kiss and Drop – we have a special program in place for our JK/SK families in which families will receive a parking pass so you can drop your child off in a designated area. Staff and/or adult volunteers will help your child exit the vehicle and will escort your child to the Kindergarten play area for safety. Giving a quick kiss goodbye is quick, safe and easy.
- Children gather safely in the Kindergarten area at the front of the school.
- Parents must stay with your child until supervision begins at 8:45. As hard as it may be, it is best to say a QUICK goodbye and let them play for 5 mins. Staying near the fence, and waiting for another goodbye, can be confusing, and often causes a lot of distress in children.
- Children enter the school when the bell rings and are escorted to class by staff.
- Extended Day students must be signed in by parent/ guardian upon drop off to the program before 8:40 am.
- Bus Students – Children are picked up from their classroom by an adult staff member and together they walk to the buses. Staff then take attendance on the bus. Children must be met at their bus stop by an adult. IF there is no adult waiting at the stop, the kindergarten children are brought back to the school.
- Walking Students – Parents/Guardians/Siblings will wait at the back of the school on the black top area for the educator to dismiss the walkers. Children will only be dismissed to adults listed as the guardians or unless other arrangements have been made in advance.
- Extended Day Students – an educator will escort children to the extended day classroom.
Each Kindergarten classroom has an individual washroom and classroom sink. We encourage students to frequently use the washroom throughout the day and to wash hands as often as necessary (ex: before snack/lunch, after coughing/sneezing). We do have a water fountain close by in our hallway, but it is still best that students bring a water bottle every day.
With current concerns over COVID-19, we will do our best to implement the cleaning practices shared by the Ministry of Health in order to ensure we protect the health of the students and teachers in our school (ex: increased frequency of hand washing and physical distancing).
If your child has any health concerns (ex. Asthma, allergies, etc), please inform the school Principal and our Early Years Team as soon as possible.
Please note: Our school board has a nut-free policy. Please be prepared to send foods that do not contain any nuts or nut products. This also includes nut substitutes.
“Cash Online” is a system we use to collect money (for school lunch days, field trips, etc.) and to sign permission forms. Families will be required to sign up for Cash Online in September. Here is the link for Cash Online if your family is not already signed up: https://wcdsb.schoolcashonline.com/
“Newswire” is a mailing list to receive news releases, school updates, activities, and opportunities (ex: fundraising initiatives). To sign up for St. Michael Newswire, check out our school website at https://stmichael.wcdsb.ca/ and scroll to the bottom and click “Subscribe to our news events”.
To sign up for the school board Newswire (WCDSB), check out the WCDSB website at https://www.wcdsb.ca/ .
Suggested School Supplies
- Large backpack
- Lunch Box with snacks and lunch (reusable containers)
- Reusable container for beverages
- Comfortable clothing for indoor and outdoor play & learning
- Indoor shoes for gym (all of their footwear should be velcro)
- Change of clothes-Just in case!
Getting Ready For School
Check this list to see if your child is “ready” for school!
Is your child:
- able to interact and work cooperatively with others
- able to listen and follow some directions
- able to share
- able to see and hear clearly
- independent regarding washroom routines
- Can other adults understand what your child is saying. (hearing and vision check-ups are highly recommended BEFORE September)
Talk about school and get excited for what it will be like! This is going to be a great experience!
- Visit: https://www.tumblebooklibrary.com/
- Login with the following (all lower case):
- Once you’ve logged in, click the following links to read the books:
• Bear and Lolly: Off to School
• Boomer goes to School
• A Pocket Full of Kisses
Please watch our video and when it is done, please return to this page to check out our Resources.
To access these resources, right click and left click to open hyperlink.
- A Parent’s Guide to Full-Day Kindergarten
- A Parent’s Guide to Play-Based Learning in Full-Day Kindergarten
- A Parent’s Guide to Literacy and Mathematics in Full-Day Kindergarten
- Full-Day Kindergarten Understanding Your Child’s Reports
- If you Want Your Children to Succeed, Then Hold On to Your Home Language!
- Sabrina’s Law
- Waterloo Child Care Subsidies
- Family Compass Waterloo Region
- Eye See…Eye Learn