Week of October 8, 2018
Fire Drill Safety Week
Each term we conduct a number of safety drills to ensure we are prepared in the event of a real emergency. Please speak with your children about the importance of full participation in a safety drill. Fire drills should not be a surprise to any of us, and if your child experiences anxiety please remind them that a drill will be taking place throughout this week.
Food Drive Starts Tomorrow
Our student leadership team is organizing a Thanksgiving Food Drive in support of our St. Clement’s Church – St. Vincent De Paul charity. So many people in our community would be grateful for any support you can provide. Please contribute as you are able to support this cause.
Further information to follow.
Halloween FUNdraiser Dance-A-Thon is ON!
This past Thursday we launched our Halloween Dance-A-Thon FUNdraiser. Each child was sent home a pledge form and a letter explaining how the funds will be used. We are excited to launch our fundraiser early so the resources can be deployed to our children and benefit their learning in the year the donations were made. When we partner with our parent community, we know it makes a world of difference for our kids’ educational experience. We are grateful for your continued support. Looking forward to a Fun Event and the enhancements the fundraising provides for our students.
Have Your Say as the Province Begins Education Consultations Across the Province
The government of Ontario has started its consultation process this Fall and is inviting parents to share their thoughts. Please visit the website below and have your voice heard about the direction the Ministry of Education should take with education in the coming months.
The consultations are intended to focus on the following topics:
- How to improve student performance in the disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM);
- How our schools are preparing students with needed job skills;
- What more can be done to ensure students graduate with important life skills, like financial literacy;
- How to build an updated and age-appropriate Health and Physical Education curriculum that includes subjects like sexual health education, mental health and the legalization of cannabis;
- What measures can be taken to improve standardized testing;
- What steps schools should take regarding the use of technology in classrooms, such as the use of cell phones; and
- What elements would participants like to see included in the Ministry of Education Parents’ Bill of Rights.
Monday, October 8th
Tuesday, October 9th
6:00 School Council Library – all welcome!
Wednesday, October 10th
All Day Spirit Wear Day
Thursday, October 11th
11:45 Pizza Day
12:05 EcoClub Rm.
12:05 Girls’ Basketball Gym
Friday, October 12th
Have a great day!
Looking Ahead Beyond this week…
- Faith in Action – St. Michael feature School (October 14)
- Municipal Election (October 22)
- P.A. Day (October 26th)
- Food Drive till the end of the Month (October 31
- Halloween Dance-A-Thon FUNdraiser (October 31)
- Progress Reports Go Home (November 6th)
- Parent/Student/Teacher Conferencing (November 8th)
- P.A. Day (November 16th)